Moving to a new home in a new area can be as daunting as it is exciting. It takes time to settle into your new home life and get to know your surroundings.
To get you updated with what’s going on in your new location, we’ve noted a few sites and apps that can help you discover activities of interest. Here’s our advice on moving house: getting to know your new community.
As well as local authority websites, most communities have a website run by those living in the area.
Villages online has a comprehensive A to Z listing of all UK villages with a community website.
Also, London SE1 has a database of the local community websites in London. Take advantage of these free offerings from your neighbourhood and seek out events or groups to meet like-minded people.
If you have children, Netmums lists an abundance of information on clubs and activities in your area to entertain your offspring.
Join your neighbourhood’s social media groups on Facebook, Twitter and even Instagram to communicate with the locals.
Apps to find likeminded people
There is a plethora of apps out there that can help you explore your new surroundings. We’ve listed a few below:
- Meetup brings people together in thousands of cities around the world. Sign up and attend meet-ups, or create your own. The whole premise is to meet people who are into the same things as you
- Citysocializer allows you to seek out activities and social events that appeal to you in your area
- Nextdoor is a private social network exclusively for your neighbourhood. It allows you to meet your community, arrange social activities, or simply discuss local affairs. It’s specific to your area alone
- Hoop gives up-to-date local event information, as well as a wide selection of opportunities to suit all ages, budgets and tastes. It’s specifically tailored to families!
- Peanut is a platform where mums can connect with other mums. You’re asked to set three main activities that appeal to you. From here you can identify with those with similar hobbies and interests
- Seesaw is the app created by Netmums. It’s a local activity finder for families. It offers over 140,000 listings, including children’s activities. You can also request activity prompts for adult interests too
Other things you can do
Whilst technology is a great way to be sociable with those in your area, it’s not the only way to get to know your new community! Other options include:
- If you’ve got a local pub, community centre or village hall nearby – make use of it! You’re bound to get the lowdown of what’s on and what’s not to be missed
- Become a tourist! Get a local map, don your walking shoes and take yourself on a tour of your new area
- Throw a house warming party and invite some of your new neighbours
- Volunteer! If you have the time, volunteering is a great way to support your community and quickly get to know local people