Having had an offer accepted on your ideal property, the weeks ahead require excellent organisational skills. Before you can pick up the keys to your new home, a lot needs to happen in a relatively short period of time.
To support you in this process, we have compiled a moving house checklist
Get your free moving home checklist to guide you
Subscribe below and we’ll email your FREE Countdown to Moving checklist to help ensure things run smoothly as you approach your move.
Moving house list – 8 weeks to go
Start getting organised as early as possible. Moving and packing will take up more time than you think! The more you do now, the easier your life will be as you get closer to moving day. Here are some important steps to follow in the moving/packing timeline:
- Make a detailed inventory of all possessions in your house – this is a vital step when it comes to how to move house
- Start sorting your possessions into what you’re taking with you and what you’re going to get rid of
- Decide whether you want to pack your belongings yourself. If you choose to do this, make sure you allow plenty of time and use it as an excuse to declutter as you go
- Start researching moving companies and get at least three quotes. Remember that most companies will be busy during the weekend, so if you can move during the week it will help bring the quote down. Get a removals quote online here!
- If you’re planning to move yourself, make sure you book a van in advance
7 weeks before moving day
While it’s still fairly early in the timeline for moving house, moving day will come quicker than you think!
Now is the time to make sure you have all your moving/packing paraphernalia. Order this in bulk and in advance to help save money.
House checklist – 6 weeks before moving day
Start letting various people, organisations and companies know you’re moving. This action is best started once you have exchanged contracts on your purchase, so you have legal certainty that the transaction is proceeding.
- If you’re moving to a new area, notify your children’s school of their last day
- Talk to your doctor about forwarding your medical records to your new practice and get any paperwork that may be needed in place
5 weeks before moving day
Book your removal company. Confirm when you want to move, and what time you should expect them. If necessary, pay a deposit.
Once you have chosen your removals firm (or arranged the van and some help), book time off work. Take the day before and after your move off work, if you move mid-week.
If you’re using the movers to pack for you, start going room by room and decluttering each space. Take unwanted possessions to charity shops and recycling centres.
Double check your possessions are insured if they break.
4 weeks before moving day
At this stage in the house buying timeline, it’s time to start packing non-essentials. This will usually take longer than anticipated!
Notify your utilities companies of your move, so they can start to prepare your final bill and tell you when you need to provide them with final readings. Give them your new address.
Let your local authority know you’re moving, so they can amend your council tax. Let your new council know you’re moving into their area.
Also, speak to your insurers to let them know your new address details and to check your possessions are covered during the move.
What do to when moving house – 3 weeks before
Start clearing out your freezer and kitchen cupboards. You might have to get creative with meals, but it’s better to use up the food you have than let it go to waste.
Think about making arrangements for your pets and children if you don’t want them to be around on moving day. Ask a friend or relative to watch them, as it will likely be less stressful for both them and you.
If you can’t make other arrangements, make sure your children are prepared for moving day!
Organise your change of address cards and notify all the relevant companies.
Arrange for your mail to be redirected via the Royal Mail website.
2 weeks before moving day
Pack like you’ve never packed before! You only have two weeks left to get your belongings into boxes, so get rid of anything you no longer want, need, or use.
Plan what to do with your valuables. You can either take them with you, or see if you can give them to a friend or relative, so they don’t get misplaced or stolen on moving day.
1 week before moving day
Confirm the removals company are still coming and what time to expect them. Make sure you have reserved a parking space outside of your property if you only have on-street parking.
Pack all essentials to see you through the first 24 hours and make sure the box is clearly labelled.
1 day before moving day
Place wheelie bins or other large objects outside of your property to reserve the parking space for the removals company. They will want to be as close to your home as possible!
Tomorrow is moving day! It will most likely be stressful, but think of the benefits; you will finally be in your brand-new home!
Once you’re moved
- Don’t forget to change your locks – get a quote here
- Review your utilities to ensure you get the best deal. Switching utilities with uSwitch couldn’t be easier.
- Postcode check the broadband speed in the area and get yourself the best deal
Last Updated: September 2nd, 2021